In My Time of Dying
By Dwip February 12, 2004, 1:33 am Comments (12) RSS Feed for this post

Well, I’ve gone and resigned from Tonto. First time in 3.5 years that I haven’t worn the Tonto_ prefix. I won’t elaborate on it here, it’s all in the post, but it was time for me. *shrug*

On another note, we played some pretty good Mechwarrior down at the shop. As I’ve always wanted to take some pictures of the thing, I have done so. They follow.

Me Getting Stomped: Me getting thrashed. The mech getting shot in the back is mine, the two infantry by the tank in the middle are mine, the rest is either his, or dead units of mine. That little orange mech in the center is a killer. It’s also mine now, thanks to a trade for the for the dead brown one by my caffiene supply.

Fun At the Pool: Nasty fighting in my last game. He charged up, we all got in close range, and started duking it out. My mechs are the same as last time, everything else is his except my two infantry and helicopter. It ended up with the chopper and the infantry chasing down his last surviving mech for my only win of the night.

The Davion Legions of Doom: Rema’s random I think 3,000 point army, in disarray as he’s building a 600 point army to fight me with.

VTOL Wars: The view from behind my Donar (the white thing) facing down Rema’s two VTOLs, one of which is Wahab Fusili, the unique Balac. My Donar beat him down. ;) Note the awesome city terrain, which is hella fun to play on.

Marauder Wars: Two Marauders, the white one mine, the red one in the background Rema’s, face down Greg’s helpless agromech. The assorted other white guys are all mine, failing massively in their attempts to shoot the building with the yellow circle they’re pointed at.

Marauder Wars, Part II: The Marauder Strikes Back: Rema’s Marauder facing down a very frightened-looking Bill Magnilov in his agromech, with a couple repair vehicles backing him up.

Battletech, Photoblogging, Tonto Clan Comments (12) RSS Feed for this post
Comments on In My Time of Dying
avatar Comment by BN_Chili #1
February 12, 2004 at 5:16 am

I’d figure that you would stay at Tonto forever or something. I didn’t expect that you’d actually leave *shrugs*

Well, we’ll get to see you here I guess.

*attempts to bring alien here*

*doesn’t know any ASCII art for the alien, more less on how to animate a jumping one*

February 12, 2004 at 3:02 pm

And having seen those pics, I don’t understand anything more than I did from your write-ups.

I think I’m doomed to be clueless about mech games forever. :P

avatar Comment by Marechal #3
February 12, 2004 at 4:57 pm

Going back to an earlier point of discussion, 16th century Spain had a very limited window of opportunity as far as shining in the glorious rays of imperial glory. Marius addressed the explotation and plundering of the New World by Spain and the whole imperial thing, but really, it wasn’t all that good and glorious. Not to completely dominate the realm of Western European history post-Reformation, but let me splurge for a minute here. For as much gold and silver Spain plundered from the New World, for as many millions of ducats Spanish imperialism brought into the vaults of Madrid, it was never enough. At the very height of the imperial tyranny, only 1/4 of the crown’s revenues was from the New World. The vast majority of the revenue for imperial Spain came from the Castillian peasants. And the banking houses of Europe (loans). The sergios of the Cortes, extrordinary as they were, could hardly compare with the regular taxes, the import taxes, the licenses, and the church taxes the Spanish Crown imposed throughout Iberia.

The only European power to ever truly gain tangible, long-term benefits from imperialism was England. They were very efficient, systematic colonizers and it paid off in the long run, even with the revolt of the treacherous American colonies. All the other powers, although many practiced imperialism, yielded it in such a fashion as to produce more harm than good or it was short-lived and relatively unsuccessful. The Dutch didn’t gain much from their imperial endeavors, not that they could truly practice imperialism in the United Provinces with its republican institutions anyway. Their wealth stemmed from their banking houses, their strong commercial base, merchant fleet, and industry (strong middle class). The French never got much from their colonies except sugar and spices, and their empire was more on paper than a reality. I already mentioned the failure of Spanish imperialism. Not to mention the silver-gold influx led to inflation doubling twice and beyond and if you wanted I could site for you a half dozen instances were the Spanish Crown actually declared bankruptcy. (1557, was a big year, for example.) So anywho, yeah, what you want to look at is Great Britain and English imperialism. That was the most successful, most accomplished model following Napoleon’s Grand French Imperialism of the early 19th century. Unfortunately, that was short-lived. It was, however, appropriately limited largely to the Continent and the Old World, which is where the full glory of imperialism can be admired in the blue-clad legions of the Imperial Guard with their eagles piercing the heavens and the military bands beating, “En evant!”

So about mechwarrior boardgame things…

avatar Comment by Marechal #4
February 12, 2004 at 5:01 pm

Oh yeah, and as far as numbers go, I forgot to crunch the numbers for you about Spain. Their glory was from 1520s-1630s, give or take and I would be happy to argue over those dates if someone wants to. Why 1520s? The conquest of Mexico and the first embrace of the riches of the New World reached Spain and Charles V was her ruler. Brought Spain into the greater Habsburg world. Which was good and bad. By the 1630s, Spain was grasping at straws. Had a half dozen bankruptcies under its belt, rampant inflation, rebellions in Portugal and Catalonia, and was bleeding white from the Thirty Years’ War. And the Dutch had been beating on them for just about eighty years. And the French were beating on them, and continued beating on them, until the Pyrennes Treaty (1659). And everyone and your momma’s navies had been shredding the Spanish fleets for decades by that point. Not to mention the Ottomans were always pulling on Spain’s chain. Spanish imperialism just sucked.

February 12, 2004 at 7:31 pm

More or less in agreement with that, though with some ponderance about how this particular subject got started up again in this particular thread, and with a reminder that Nappy got his ass beat in the end.

avatar Comment by Marechal #6
February 13, 2004 at 7:01 am

Dude, everyone gets beaten in the end. Suvorov got taken down by some revolutionary rabble, Caesar got cut to pieces by the senators, Hannibal had Zama, Wellington had a less than brilliant career as PM, and yeah, just about everybody of any importance gets 0wnZ3d in the end. Napoleon actually got away with a lot, lot more than most people cuz he got to spend half a decade in exile putting together the legend that changed the world, so you really need to change your song and dance, citizen. :p Yeah, sure, the Empire came down, but name an empire that didn’t.

February 13, 2004 at 7:22 am

The point is, and we keep going here, that Nappy’s empire lasted all of, what, 20 years? You have to be either seriously incompetent, seriously disadvantaged, or both, if your empire falls after 20 years.

France gained all of, what, in the long term, from this empire? Pretty much jack? There you have it.

Which isn’t to say that being under the French yoke wasn’t good in the long run for, say, the German states, and maybe Italy, but the list is sort of few and far between.

avatar Comment by Marechal #8
February 13, 2004 at 7:58 am

Different world, silly. Sure, Caesar could steamroll the ad-hoc barbarian hordes with relative impunity. Alexander could tear down the Persian house of cards, Chinggis could beat the tar out of the lackluster infantry bands that occasionally crossed lines with his hordes… but that was then.

Napoleon was fighting in the rising industrial Europe against centuries old nation-states with tens of millions of citizens, industrial bases, and relative parity in weapons technology. The fact Napoleon could beat them all and keep them beaten for as long as he did and that his empire lasted beyond a single year, that is the true glory of Napoleon’s accomplishment here. It’s hella hard to conquer 3/4 Europe post-1500. Take a look at the puny little list of what, three names, maybe?, of people who conquered as much as he did of modern Europe and was able to hold onto it for any length of time?

VIVE L’EMPEREUR!

February 13, 2004 at 8:07 am

Well, look at it this way. He’s still losing to the Soviets. He’s got the Nazis beat out, but everybody’s got the Nazi’s beat out. Hell, the Americans probably have the Nazis beat out, and they didn’t even keep any of it.

But really, as far as the whole “We’re going to get this empire to directly benefit the country for a while.” the whole Napoleon and empire thing really didn’t work out all that well for the common folk. The French Revolution actually DID work out in the end, but that was like, forty odd years down the line.

avatar Comment by Marechal #10
February 13, 2004 at 9:28 am

And only possible because of Napoleon. So there!

I’m off for the weekend.

February 15, 2004 at 11:52 am

Since you’re no longer at Tonto, and Tonto was the only place you were Marius, do I have to call you Dwip now?

February 15, 2004 at 2:05 pm

Marius is a perfectly acceptable name, really. I don’t mind being called by it. ;)

Actually I’m Marius on Alsherok sometimes, too. And Thag. And Xaxtnilax, though I’m not Xax all THAT much. I have a lot of stuff named Thag, though. Maybe even more than gets named Dwip.

*shrug*