In God’s Country
By Dwip November 4, 2004, 6:27 pm Comments (6) RSS Feed for this post

So I’m talking to Rema last night at Mechwarrior, and he says something to the effect of “I’ve decided I no longer consider myself an American, just an Oregonian.” And really there’s something to be said for that, because, well, consider:

We had record turnout, and while that is on the one hand a good thing, said turnout appears to have been, from all appearances, made up of the sort of social conservatives I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. This after an exceedingly ugly campaign filled with viciousness and lies (not that we didn’t just have four years of such things, but the intensity went way up).

It used to be, and I am reminded of it by this post of Regina’s, that I took comfort in the fact that my positions rode this sort of tide of historical inevitability, considering that the course of the 20th century has been towards freedom, democracy, equal rights, and liberalism in general. Considering the 11 states that voted against gay marriage, and such delightful comments such as this one (“They lost, now they can sit in the back of the bus. Thank God Almighty.”) and this rather comforting one (see the first email), I’d say it’s going to be a long, hard road.

But at least I live in Oregon, which is a state that not only has gone consistently leftward over my lifetime (barring our being one of the unholy 11), and is also a state that pretty much WORKS most of the time. Funny how that works. And, you know, at least I live in a state with a proper voting system, where we get the ballot in the mail ahead of time, with a nonpartisan voter’s guide included, and can mail in or drop off our ballots as we choose to, and where great pains are taken to ensure vote security. Unlike, say, Florida in 2k (or even in 2k4), or Ohio, the latter of which had serious issues with crowding and lack of proper ballot supplies, to the tune of something like 150,000 votes which may or may not have been counted at the end of the day. We live in the fucking 21st century, people. Get it the fucking fuck together, already.

So, yeah. when Oregon petitions to join the United States of Canada, I sure as hell won’t complain.

[edit]

And for those of us who somehow still think the Bush administration has actual skill at financial management, I’d be sure to check this out. Debt? What debt?

[/edit]

History and Politics Comments (6) RSS Feed for this post
Comments on In God’s Country
November 5, 2004 at 2:33 pm

“I’ve decided I no longer consider myself an American, just an Oregonian.”

Wasn’t the last time people thought like that, oh, 1775?

(The Civil War doesn’t count. People were nationalistic, not state-loyal, then – some of them were just loyal to the Confederate, not United, States of America.)

Also, would someone who’s taken economics like to explain to me what the debt ceiling?

I read those Andrew Sullivan letters yesterday – or was it Wednesday? In either case, I spent the rest of the day feeling sad.

I keep alternating between: “It’s sunny out. Nothing bad has happened to me personally. Life goes on. Besides, we lived through four years of this guy, right?” and “Oh crap. The next four years are going to be baaad, unless Bush pulls some really good stuff that sound like things Friedman suggests, starting now.”

avatar Comment by Rachael #2
November 5, 2004 at 12:28 pm

God, that’s scary. And here I thought living smack in the middle of the 51% of the country that’s gone hillbilly was bad enough.

November 5, 2004 at 3:58 pm

Since I’m tired of politics for the moment, I’ll simply say that no, the Civil War and the preceeding era was very much about state identity versus national identity. There is, of course, some irony in their having to then band together in the Confederacy which centralized more as time went on, but that’s sort of a side issue to what people of the time believed.

avatar Comment by Clyos #4
November 5, 2004 at 5:19 pm

If our state “works” then why is it constantly broke and unable to do anything without help from teh federal government.

November 5, 2004 at 5:27 pm

Where the hell did you get that impression?

As in, please to be providing some examples of how the feds needed to save the ass of the entire state.

avatar Comment by Rachael #6