On the Continuing Decline of Retail Game Purchasing
By Dwip June 19, 2012, 3:29 pm Comments (8) RSS Feed for this post

This is a thing which just happened.

Me: Ah yes, the Civilization 5 xpack, Gods and Kings came out today. I’d best go get that.

*drives to Gamestop*

Me: Hey, so, uh, Gods and Kings. Any copies?

Gamestop: Sorry, pre-orders only.

Me: I see. Any idea when you’ll get more?

Gamestop: Not really.

Me: I see. Well, thanks.

*drives home*

Me: Hey Steam, I bet you can solve this.

Steam: Yes, but you need to click three buttons and a checkbox.

Me: This seems reasonable. *does so*

Steam: Install will probably take about 10-15 minutes.

Me: Great. Just enough time for a shower. Perfect.

And here we are. Because, you know, as much fun as scheduling my life around somebody else’s shipping schedule is, I’ll take a pass.

Computer Games - Civilization Series, Random and Ravings Comments (8) Trackback URL for this post RSS Feed for this post
Comments on On the Continuing Decline of Retail Game Purchasing
avatar Comment by prettyfly #1
June 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I’m tempted to get stroppy about the fact they’ve delayed the release for two days in Australia. But in my case it actually means it won’t unlock until Friday (in my country’s time zone), which coincidentally means that I won’t be able to play it until the afternoon after my History project is finished and handed in.

And since that project is worth 90% of my mark in that topic its probably actually a good thing that I don’t have Civ distracting me.

Still, I can’t wait to name my religion ‘Syphilis’.

June 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Holy shit, 90%? That’s crazy.

Thus far, enjoying the changes, though it pays to read the building/wonder descs. They are…different.

Religion system is pretty cool. Currently spreading the joys of Confucianism throughout the world as Byzantium and dealing with a very bipolar 2CCing Sweden.

“I’m going to kill you in the face! Let’s be friends!”

“What?”

avatar Comment by prettyfly #3
June 20, 2012 at 2:11 am

So I take it they haven’t really solved the AI’s still seem to be problematic?

Also, exactly how much of a buff does religion tend to give you?

June 20, 2012 at 4:02 am

Well, they put up some fairly credible wars against me for a while (I came very close to losing a bunch of dudes and a city), but no, the AI doesn’t seem to be significantly improved as of yet. Then again, I’m playing on Prince, which I am better than.

Religion…thus far, kind of a lot, though I totally prioritized it and I’m Theodora so I get bonus religion powers. I went pretty much straight up the happiness bonuses (there are a LOT of different bonuses that do tons of stuff), and at one point I was at 45 happy in the Middle Ages with some city states and awesome land. That’s one data point, though.

Speaking of city states, the 2 missions at once instead of 1 thing is pretty cool, and they seem to have capped out mission bonuses at about 40, which means you have a lot more swinging between ally/friend/neutral. They may have gone a bit too far there, but I’m interacting with city states more, which is cool. Also at least one new type that just gives you straight up happiness, which is whatever it is.

June 20, 2012 at 5:54 am

Re: Religion, this is how I’m currently rolling with my Confucian Byzantines.

Pantheon is the first thing you get before founding a real religion with a prophet, which then gets you access to two of the other abilities. Spending another prophet got me the other three, one of which was because I’m Byz.

Probably should have gone different with that +50 Faith thing, since it turns out that all of the three different purchase buildings for faith improvements (I have pagodas) are complete insanity, and depending on how you go with your religion abilities and social policies, you may or may not have a whole lot to spend your faith points on.

That aside, that +3 happy, +1 +x% production thing is sweet. I really dig religion thus far – it’s like getting to build your own policy tree, and there are tons of cool bonuses. Some of them are really situational, but if you’re in that situation, well. Case in point – see that 59 faith per turn? Half of that is wonders in Constantinople. Looks really easy to craft something that works really well for your particular circumstances, as opposed to “Well, I’m going down Commerce for the +3 production thing despite being the Inland Empire.”

Also did some reading at Civfanatics, and everyone else who’s played more than I have seems to believe the AI got a lot better, so take that as you will.

Apparently Austria is also superhax, but I wouldn’t know. Most of the new civs do appear to be pretty crazy good though.

June 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I think anyone who’s anyone already knows Gamestop sucks. They are not a good indicator of the health of retail gaming in general.

You might have been better off going to Best Buy instead, who, btw, did have your DLC there on the shelf prominently displayed when I was there this morning. Half sold out even, so apparently Civ 5 is pretty popular.

I also remain highly amused at the number of copies of the CE for Skyrim still sitting around on their shelves. Boxes that appear to have been there since November even, considering how badly beat up some of them are.

June 20, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I live in Corvallis, dude. You go to Gamestop or you get nothing. I THINK there’s a Best Buy in Salem, which would be great if I felt like a two hour round trip?

My actual other alternative for most things is Amazon. I just sort of assumed Gamestop would have it for some reason, since it is, in fact, pretty popular.

Silly rabbit.

June 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm

It’s Gamestop though. Even here in California where every modern convenience is 5 minutes away by car they still don’t keep proper stock of anything for PC.

This, even though every single time I’ve ever been in the place someone is there asking to either pre-order PC titles or asking if they have them at all. People still want to buy retail and Gamestop isn’t allowing for that, yet they wonder why their business is declining and they have to start closing stores down.